Healing Starts Here! At Rapides Wound Healing Center, we are dedicated to healing your chronic wounds. Our center offers highly specialized wound care methodologies and treatments of chronic wounds and non-responsive conditions on an outpatient basis. Our specially trained physicians and clinical staff work together to create treatment plans specifically for your wound. We are located in the Medical Terrace at Rapides Regional Medical Center. For more information, call 318-769-4500.
The Problem of Chronic Wounds
A wound is an opening in the skin that does not heal with regular medical treatment. A chronic wound is a window to underlying disease. Each wound is a symptom of underlying infirmities that undermine the potential for healing. Many things can cause wounds. If left untreated or unhealed, wounds can turn into more serious conditions, which may require amputation or cause a life-threatening infection.
The Warning Signs
Although most wounds heal with proper treatment, it is important to know the warning signs of potentially chronic, slow-healing wounds. If you suffer from any of the following conditions, the medical staff at Rapides Wound Healing Center can help you:
Any wound failing to improve with multiple treatments or therapies
- Bone infection (osteomyelitis)
- Circulatory problems
- Compromised skin flaps or grafts
- Diabetic foot ulcers
- Lower leg ulcers
- Post-operative infections
- Pressure ulcers
- Radiation burns
- Skin tears or lacerations
- Slow-healing surgical wounds
Specialized Wound Healing Treatment
Here at the Rapides Wound Healing Center, we treat serious, complicated wounds from diabetic foot ulcers to post-operative wounds and bone infections (osteomyelitis), among others. We use highly specialized therapies to speed the healing of these conditions. Your treatment plan may include one or more of the following specialized treatments:
- Doppler Evaluation of Pulses: Determines the amount of blood flow available to move nutrients and medication to the wound.
- Transcutaneous Oxygen Monitoring (TCPO2): Determines the level of oxygenation available to the wound.
- Wound Dressings: Creates the proper healing environment for the wound. Each wound care product used at the Rapides Wound Healing Center is chosen to meet your specific needs.
- Wound Debridement: A procedure by which the wound is cleaned which encourages the growth of healthy tissues in the wound, speeding the healing process.
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: Provides the patient with 100 percent oxygen at increased atmospheric pressures, which helps the body fight infection and promotes healing. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is helpful for patients who have carbon monoxide poisoning, bone infections (osteomyelitis) and other serious infections, crush injuries or injuries that affect circulation.
- Vascular Surgery (when appropriate): Reestablishes proper blood flow to the wound area. Rapides Wound Healing Center patients requiring vascular surgery are treated by the finest physicians and most up-to-date technologies available at Rapides Regional Medical Center.
Here at the Rapides Wound Healing Center, we respect the relationship between you and your healthcare provider. That is why we keep in close contact with your referring physician. After all, we share the same goal - healing your wound so you can start enjoying your lifestyle again!
Likely candidates for treatment at the new center are those suffering from diabetic ulcers, pressure ulcers, infections, compromised skin grafts and flaps, and wounds that haven't healed within 30 days. If you or someone you care about is suffering from chronic, slow-healing wounds, talk to you doctor today about a referral or call us at 318-769-4500.