Cardiac Rehabilitation is an individualized and personalized treatment plan, including evaluation and instruction on physical activity, nutrition, stress management and other health related areas. It is an important part of the treatment of your specific heart problem.
If you have one of the following diagnoses, you may be eligible to participate:
- Heart Attack
- Cardiac surgery, such as coronary bypass or valve surgery
- Heart failure
- Coronary artery angioplasty or stents
Our cardiac rehab program is located on the Rapides Regional Medical Center campus near I-49 in the Rapides Health and Lifestyles Center. Our program is carefully designed to accommodate the individual needs of every cardiac patient. Participants typically spend 6 to 12 weeks in cardiac rehabilitation, attending up to three sessions per week. The length of your program may depend upon your goals, the progress of your recovery or your physician’s recommendation.
During the activity sessions, the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program team will monitor you with an electrocardiograph (ECG) telemetry unit that will keep them informed of how you and your heart are reacting and adapting to activity. You’ll also learn how to take your pulse, determine your exercise intensity and exercise at a level which allows you to receive maximum benefits.
Based upon each individual’s personal goals, the benefits received from cardiac rehabilitation may vary. Your benefits may include:
- Strengthening and conditioning of your heart and lungs
- Controlling your weight and lowering your total cholesterol levels
- Understanding your medications, the signs and symptoms of heart disease and when to seek medical attention
- Increase in your self confidence
- Laying the groundwork for the development of a healthier lifestyle
- Reducing your symptoms and chances of experiencing another cardiac event
- An earlier return to work and daily activities
- Developing coping and stress reduction skills, as well as relaxation techniques
- Emotional support for you and your family